December 12, 2011

What a Storm!!!!

So I don't know if any of you heard about the storm we had last week here in Pasadena, Ca, but we had a "hurricane" strength wind storm. We had winds up to 107 mph. It was incredible. I was laying down trying to get Coulson to sleep around 10pm and the wind was blowing pretty hard. The lights started flickering off and on and it scared Coulson so we went out to the family room with Daddy. Nate and I sat there around a candle and talked until the boys fell asleep in our arms. The power still was off and the wind seemed to be getting worse by the minute. We didn't know what to do, so we just went to bed. Nate opened the blinds so we could have some moonlight in our room. We just laid in bed for hours listening to this incredible storm. Nate fell asleep and I just kept getting more and more scared. I laid there and could see things snapping and flying around. I was convinced that a tree was going to come right through our window. I was going to move everyone out into the family room, but convinced myself that I was just paranoid. I woke Nate up and told him that I wanted to have the 2 boys in bed with us so they didn't get cold. We put them in bed and I think having them in bed with us, comforted me enough to help me fall asleep. I fell asleep around 4 in the morning. At 8 am, Nate woke me up when the power came back on. We opened the door to see the damaged and this is what we found...

All the shingles had come off the roof of our apartment complex.
This was the huge tree at the entrance of our complex.
It ripped the sidewalk up too and can you see the car underneath the tree?
Our parking is in a gated area and since the power was out you couldn't get in to park. The car owner went to go hand-crank the gate when the tree fell on his car. Bummer!
Our apartment window is right there where this tree fell, good thing this tree blew the other way. I was also laying in bed and watched that flag pole bend in half like it was a straw!

Pasadena was declared to be in a "State of Emergency." School was canceled and so my friend Britany and I drove around checked out all the damage and took pictures.

The Target sign fell into the street.
This was the big news... you might have seen this on the news. We live only a block from this gas station. A couple trees fell and totally smashed this gas station.

The entrance to Nate's work.
Our old apartment complex.


There were some families in our ward that went without power for over a week. We were pretty lucky and only went for about 12 hours without power. The news said tonight that they estimate that the this storm caused about 75 million dollars in damage just in Pasadena. It is times like this that really make you think about things, like food storage! We are just so grateful that no one was hurt.

6 comments:

Stacy said...

WOW! I have been waiting to see these pictures! I am glad you guys are okay. I can't wait to see you Saturday!

Greg and Rendi said...

WOW!!!! That is very scary! I'd be scared out of my mind. Especially when your home is suppose to be the safest place. Glad you are all ok. :)

Chelsi Phillips said...

Wow I had no idea this happened. These pictures are crazy. I'm glad you guys are alright. Love you bunches!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness! I am glad everyone was ok!

The Millers said...

Wow that is crazy. Super lucky no one got hurt. I am sending out Christmas cards and would love to send you and Nate one. I don't have your address though. you could email it to me if you want. lindsay.miller1986@gmail.com Thanks

Chelsi Phillips said...

So I am pretty sure you haven't posted since December and it is now March! This is so not Heidi! Haha you should just teach Coulson how to do it and he can keep us updated haha:] Love you and miss you!

Chelsi